Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What dog food do you feed?

Go down 
+19
sue
incessantforce
Chantelle
Chasidyz
dakota
Gwen
rinnie69
The Shire
BeBe
ourfairview
Vicki
cart5832002
snippittsuk
Mawreddog
MrsPita
Marles
jacquieblue
lora
Marissa
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:19 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 am

questions are much better than doing it wrong!!!

i dont think anyone minds questions on here Very Happy

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
BeBe

BeBe

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Mandy!!

Just to echo Cheri's comment - no problem with questions here!! That's what it's all about as far as I'm concerned!!

I'm a Bernard pet owner - OK we've been fortunate enough to have had Bernards in our lives for the past 12 years or so but I remember clearly what a steep learning curve we went through when we had our first - at that time there were no friendly forums around to help with advice for not only a first-time Bernard owner but also a first-time dog owner!!!!

I am still so grateful for advice from other Bernard owners with more experience than I have but gradually you will gain confidence in yourself and in Murphy as you get to know one another as he matures and then, as you know from previous experience I'm sure, gut feeling will kick in and no-one will know Murphy as well as you do!!

SO, don't worry about asking questions - I'm sure we're all only too pleased to share our own Bernard experiences and to help if we can - a good opportunity for me to say that I don't know what I would have done without Cheri's support, expertise, knowledge and EXTREME KINDNESS in recent weeks!! A public and heartfelt 'thank you' Cheri!!!

BeBe
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:23 am

BEBE you and han are most welcome i happen to know alot of useless info but some that does help!
the whole idea of this forum was to bring us "bernard" people together when at shows people seem to ignore new people also for times when times are good bad and sad, hopefully having somewhere to talk and ask questions will in a very small way help some lovely st bernards nobody should hold back here even if the question is small or the person feels silly!
every little helps lol What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
The Shire

The Shire

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 2:30 pm

We feed Wafcol Salmon & Potato Giant Breed puppy for the first 6 months or so and then go onto the adult version of the same food. The older boys also get the Wafcol but we do mix it with Skinners Duck and Rice and for the odd boy we feed only the Skinners as Burt gets a bit mardy about the size of the complete food and Wafcol adult is very big! Added to the complete we feed a mixture of beef mince (also from Tesco) chicken breast, fish and various other bits just to make it more appealling, expecially if we have a dog dropped weight.
I always used to feed Royal Canin but then our middle boy (Mack) had very itchy skin as a puppy and when we took him off RC and swapped to Wafcol he immedaitely inproved and put weight on, so I haven't fed RC since and the Wafcol is fantastic for putting weight on any age dog
Back to top Go down
rinnie69

rinnie69

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 am

we feed a low protein worker kibble and chicken and tripe , the boys look good on it and have no health issues. we tried various feeds and this suits best flower
Back to top Go down
Gwen

Gwen

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi all,

Our saint, Bailey is nearly 8 months and has been on royal canin giant puppy food. We were going to switch to the adult food, but as she has been neutered, the vet suggested the large breed adult food rather than the giant breed adult food. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 4:07 pm

We always put our dogs on adult food around 6-7 months old. Again we use the 'normal' adult food as opposed to a Large or giant breed food, it works for us, everyone has their own way of doing things though
Back to top Go down
dakota

dakota

PostSubject: Taste of the Wild   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 11:06 am

I tried a few different foods on Dakota as she is very picky, I bought a bag of Taste of the Wild and she likes that so she and Diesel are on that. She isn't a very good eater, will eat at least 1 bowl a day, sometimes 2. Diesel on the other hand eats anything you put in front of him.(no I think the word for him is he gobbles it down like it's his last).
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 5:46 pm

dakota wrote:
I tried a few different foods on Dakota as she is very picky, I bought a bag of Taste of the Wild and she likes that so she and Diesel are on that. She isn't a very good eater, will eat at least 1 bowl a day, sometimes 2. Diesel on the other hand eats anything you put in front of him.(no I think the word for him is he gobbles it down like it's his last).

Taste of the Wild is awesome... My boys are on it too and they love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
dakota

dakota

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 6:01 pm

if you have a Tractor Supply near you, I found them to be the cheapest for Taste of the Wild, just recently they lowered their 30 lbs bags from $42.99 to $39.99 plus if you go on their website you can get a $5.00 , it let me print up 3 of them before telling me I reached my household limit. Other stores in my area carrying it for $43.99 and $41.99.
Back to top Go down
Chasidyz

Chasidyz

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 6:05 pm

I agree, my pups love Taste of the Wild! My weim has a chicken allergy, and since both pups are slow eaters, we can't feed them separate or they'd never be together, so they both have to eat chicken-free food. There isn't much out there that has no chicken at all in it. We feed any combination of California Natural, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, and Solid Gold, and Blue Buffalo. The weim gets picky or bored with her food now and then, so she'll pick out one kind that she doesn't like and throw it all over the floor. We have to keep changing it up every other month or so to keep her from throwing it all over the floor. The ants are nuts! affraid

Solid Gold and Blue Buffalo seem to be the best for them. No odd stools, no tummy upset, and they both grew slowly and proportionately, which is odd for saints!

We get compliments on their soft shiny coats all of the time too, which makes me feel good. Ben feels like a pillow, and I must admit that it just makes me want to cuddle him more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chantelle

Chantelle

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 7:34 am

My vet has always sweared by " Puppy large growth -- Advance plus" 15 kilos for $110. He's 11months and gets 5 cups a day *two for breaky and 3 for tea plus fresh rue for tea..

So ever since we got dozer at 8weeks we have always brought it for him sadly very expensive.

Was wondering what you's thought - ever heard of it ?? Tried to go for something cheeper in the past that was still high in cacium for him but than he started getting growth bone problems and pains so we put him back on it..
[img][/img][img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Chasidyz

Chasidyz

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I've heard people recommending glucosamine supplements for their pups while they grow to help with bone growth and density. A lot of vets are now recommending it for older dogs that are developing hip/joint problems as it seems to help re-build the bone and cartilage and seems to help reduce arthritis and other join/bone problems.

We bought some but didn't really stay consistent with it as Ben is a real pain in the a$$ about taking pills! Has anyone else used glucosamine supplements?

Haven't heard of that food, perhaps it's not available in the US?
Back to top Go down
incessantforce

incessantforce

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Our Saint Bernards food is Purina ProPlan Smile
Back to top Go down
sue

sue

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 am

we feed Purina Pro Plan but start the puppies on adult food at 12 weeks to keep the protein level down also give them Vit C morning and night joint food supplements i think are a geat thing for the fast growing breeds
Back to top Go down
http://www.lusanne.co.nz
LJL

LJL

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:31 pm

I have fed Taste of the Wild and California Naturals. Nothing helped Gus have firm poops. Started raw prey model in February and will never go back to kibble. He's a happy happy boy!
Back to top Go down
Chasidyz

Chasidyz

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 11:43 pm

As an aside, in case anyone hasn't yet heard and uses these foods:

Natura Pet Products has recently sold to Proctor and Gamble. Natura is the maker of California Natural, Innova, Evo, Healthwise, and Karma.

It is speculated by many that Procter and Gamble, to increase profits, will likely change the ingredients in the food or try to cut corners when they can, thus reducing the quality of the food.

If you're like me and actually trusted Natura's sog food, you may want to be aware of this sale, as it may change the quality of the "high quality" expensive food to a lower quality. I know I won't be using their products anymore, and thankfully they were backups for us since we like others better, but it's still good to know.

Procter and Gamble makes Iams and Eukanuba (which, if you do any research on pet foods, are no better than Purina or any other low quality food).

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/breaking-news-proctor--gamble-purchases-natura-pet-products.html

Here come the recalls! affraid
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 3:59 am

I had heard this and it makes me sad... you are right... here come the recalls!
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
Susi

Susi

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:36 am

I have cooked for my elderly lady for years and have made my own treats.

Guess which country this is:
What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 00217

Susi
Back to top Go down
Bina

Bina

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am

Our dogs eat Arden Grange.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tyronica.si/
CanuckNick

CanuckNick

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 am

Premium Edge (sold in north america)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What dog food do you feed?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2