Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What dog food do you feed?

Go down 
+19
sue
incessantforce
Chantelle
Chasidyz
dakota
Gwen
rinnie69
The Shire
BeBe
ourfairview
Vicki
cart5832002
snippittsuk
Mawreddog
MrsPita
Marles
jacquieblue
lora
Marissa
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marissa

Marissa

What dog food do you feed? Empty
PostSubject: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 2:05 am

Just curious to hear from others, what dog food do you feed your Saints? Or do you feed a RAW diet? Or home-cooked meals for your Saint?

Dolly has been on a RAW diet in the past, but for now, she's eating a brand of dog food called Exclusive. She seems to do well on it and it's a good price. How about your Saints?
Back to top Go down
http://www.collarsbymarissa.blogspot.com
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:45 am

Brutus and Rufus are on "Taste of the Wild" - pacific Stream
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
jacquieblue

jacquieblue

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Louie and Freddy are on Blue Buffalo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 am

Being in the UK, we dont have those brands.

We feed a mix of Arden Grange & a low protein Chicken & Rice complete food. All ours are doing really well on it & it suits everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marles

Marles

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:12 pm

We feed the adults arden grange and the baby has royal canin until she's around a year then we'll put her on arden grange too Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Am Curious Marlene (ok just plain nosey Razz) as to why Royal Canin for the puppy for a year & not arden grange puppy food?

We put our babies onto adult food around 6 months
Back to top Go down
Marles

Marles

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Do you know I think youre right, we did put Lucy on arden grange at six months now that you mention it - after junior stage I think. We've always fed the puppies royal canin, bit of a habit, but it is more expensive than arden grange so thats why we change them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Ah i seee Very Happy

We are loving AG. Not raised a litter on it yet, but will be doing so when the next one is planned.

We fed RC years ago, its a good food, never had a prob & all adults kept weight well. We have never done the junior stage, its still too high in proteins etc, so went straight to RC Adult.
Back to top Go down
Marles

Marles

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes someone else said it was high in protein and to put Mia onto arden grange now, so I might well do that Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah, i would give it a go or if you like RC, then give her the adult Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Taste of the Wild is a higher end grain free food with novel proteins which is good for allergies.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
MrsPita

MrsPita

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:50 am

We feed raw. Walter actually had a mourning dove yesterday (in addition to other fare, don't think I'm starving him!), I always think it's pretty exciting to see a dog eat a whole prey item, it's so primal and natural.
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

My gang are fed on Purina ProPlan & ad hoc chicken wings, raw bones etc
3 of my dogs have very high prey drives (one of them a saint) & I don't allow them to eat anything they catch - birds, bunnies etc as Lillie's pet rabbit Sammy is free ranging, as are the chickens, albeit in an area fenced away from the dogs. My turkey chicks have been moved to a meshed area in the barn & Maisy hasn't moved an inch in 6 hours.. since i put them in there!! They are my Xmas dinner not a scooby snack for her!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
snippittsuk

snippittsuk

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:22 am

I also give all my dogs Ducks legs/feet. They love them and prefer them to chicken wings. I get them for £1.50p per Kilo from Makro's.
Tony&Bud
Back to top Go down
cart5832002

cart5832002

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm

hi, murphy is our first saint and is fed on wainwrights puppy trays from pets at home. it has a high percentage of fresh meat in it and he seems to be doing great on it. he is now 6 months old and a couple of weeks ago he weighed 6 stone. is this ok for him? any advice greatly appreciated. thanks. mandy
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Vicki

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 4:51 pm

i'd say that was about right, but each dog is different, our bobby weighed that at 5 months, and he's not a large boy, you want to make sure his ribs aren't easily felt, and he does have a nice curve into his tummy, it's better to be slim at that age than fat, better for joints Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.lealemontsaintbernards.co.uk
snippittsuk

snippittsuk

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 5:45 pm

My last post looks as if I feed only Ducks feet !!!!!!!lool Bud has Royal Canin Giat puppy topped with tripe just to make it a little more interesting the ducks feet are traets Embarassed
Tony&Bud
Back to top Go down
snippittsuk

snippittsuk

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Now I can't Spell Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
cart5832002

cart5832002

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 7:55 am

hi again vicki, just to recap murphy went to vets for his 6 months check yesterday and weighed in at just over 7 stone so do u think thats ok? his shape seems fine and she told us everything seemed fine with him. he had a lovely time playing with a westie puppy in the waiting room. mandy
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 8:07 am

I tend to go on how my pups look as opposed to exactly how much they weigh.. but then we do have other puppies to compare them to & know what all the others have looked at at that age
Bella who is in Sweden has shot up & weighs 68lb (4.5stone ish) at 5 months & looks like an elk as her legs are so long!! She is perfectly fit & healthy, is just going to be a tall girl
Homer & Bernie her siblings are over here & weighed 5.5stone+ a week or so ago. They are not so tall so look more in proportion.
So long as you are happy with how Murphy is eating & how he is in himslef, I wouldn't get caught up in exactly what the scales say.
Like Vicki I would always err on lighter than porkier while they are young for their joints sake
Back to top Go down
cart5832002

cart5832002

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 am

hi, thanks for that. i just seem to worry a bit that we are doing everything right for murphy. we would love at some point to get him a playmate. before murphy we had 2 rottweillers who loved being together but sadly we lost samson age 4 to pneumonia last sept and benson age 7 to a nerve disease in jan this year. they were lovely pets and not at all like some people portray this breed, that is the fault of irresponsible owners.
could i just ask your opinion on feeding tripe? i seem to read a lot where saints have tripe has their main food. is this better for them than complete food? i do have contact details for a breeder near me who i have met at car boot sales who gave me her number if i ever needed any help or advice and her dogs are fed on it but dont like bothering her. she also judges shows as well so is well informed. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks. mandy
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 8:27 am

Some feed worker maintenance (low'ish protein mixer) & tripe or other raw minced meat, some feed complete.
I feed a combination to be honest. Though I can't feed raw tripe as even though the dogs love it it makes me heave so much I am sick. They do have raw minced beef & chicken.
Its whatever your dogs like & you can stand!! I can feed raw chicken wings & liver etc but the thought of Ducks feet makes me go all funny!!!
Back to top Go down
cart5832002

cart5832002

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 am

hi, i am really sorry for all the questions but when you say raw minced beef or chicken is it just the ordinary mince you would buy at the butchers or supermarket and how much would i need to give murphy? dont know wether i will try the tripe as you have put me off about the smell, i dont have a strong stomach. mandy
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:27 am

For the pups I used Tesco mince but the others get dog grade minced stuff.
Not sure where you live but we get ours delivered from TPMS www.tpms.co.uk
I start my big dogs on anything new with just a handful.. mince meat we usually gove 1lb am & 1lb pm with their mixer when we sure they fine on it
Back to top Go down
cart5832002

cart5832002

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:41 am

thankyou so much for all your help. we live in barnsley in south yorkshire. will go and get murphy some mince later and try him with it. hope you dont mind all the questions, mandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What dog food do you feed?   What dog food do you feed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What dog food do you feed?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next