Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hip scores

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:30 pm

ive come across a few breeders who will not hip score there dogs as they dont want to put them under sedation do you think its a good idea or not??

without do you think we will be able to rule out bad hips or as some people say 2 good hip scored parents doesnt mean your puppy wont get hip displaysia so is it worth putting a heathly animal through this process?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Baldylocks

Baldylocks

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:34 pm

i don't know on this one really because saints aren't the best dogs under anesthetic but then on the other hand, if i was to pay out for a dog i would expect it to be healthy so would want the checks done, i suppose it's personal choice again really, if people are happy to buy without the checks then fine, if not then they will need to look elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
rinnie69

rinnie69

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 1:49 pm

I had Indi scored, not just to see if he was healthy enough to breed from but for my own peace of mind. we wanted forwarning if you like for any potential problems.

Phoenix was x-rayed at 6 months , after a chat with his breeder, no problems were discovered, as we had no intention of breeding him we never got him scored.

We was concerned with the general, and god did i feel awful seeing him barely able to move himself cos he was so out of it after. but his scores were good and that's why we did it.

I prefer dogs to have this done, if not then to see the lines as much as possible before i buy again
Back to top Go down
castello bello's

castello bello's

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm

I allways x-ray my dogs, not just because I breed whit them but also to know if they have bad hips.
Most of my dogs will be x-rayed whitout any sedation.
And no two HD free parents will not give the quarantee that the puppys will be HD free also, but I believe as a breeder x-raying is to improve the breed.

Chantal
Back to top Go down
http://www.saintbernard.nl
MrsPita

MrsPita

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm not a breeder so I can't speak to that side, but from the buyer's perspective, I will not buy a puppy without the parents' hips tested and passed. This is why I want a dog from a breeder, so I know my pup will have the lowest possible chance of HD later on in life, along with other health assurances. Two HD free parents are going to have a higher percentage of HD free pups (so I have a significantly better chance of getting a healthy pup) than two parents with less sound hips, so the pups are not going to just get it anyways and I think it is important to improve the quality of the breed.
I hadn't heard of Saints being reactive to anesthesia though, my vet didn't mention it when Walter was neutered and he had no problems. Perhaps more on the risk factors could change my opinion.
Back to top Go down

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 pm

We've just had notice of Rooneys hipscores, we are very happy with them given his size & age (he was 3 when they were done, & a large dog to boot... ideal age is around 12-13months).

He is 11:18 = 29

We are very happy with that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rinnie69

rinnie69

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:24 pm

excellent news Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hip scores Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip scores   Hip scores Icon_minitime