Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Scent training with saints

Go down 
+2
Mawreddog
jakecorby
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jakecorby

jakecorby

Scent training with saints Empty
PostSubject: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:34 am

Hello,
We recently finished our puppy training basics classes and he thrives on training so would like to carry on with it.
I've signed up with the kennel club award scheme but thought that doing some working trials scent work would be alot more fun to him as a sideline. Has anyone else out there got experience with saints and scent working? do they have the attention span?
Appreciate any advice
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I tried this once with one of my brighter Saints but didn't pursue it as her concentration span wouldn't extend beyond 5 mins!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm

some one who i sold a puppy to tried this but it didnt work out either... however he is now a member of a newfie water works club instead Very Happy

worth a try as all dogs are different

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
jakecorby

jakecorby

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Thankyou for replies.

I figured their short attention span would come into play, still gonna give it a go though. I'll let ya know how we get on.

Also if anyone else does any other activities with their saints let me know. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm

mine are therapy dogs and go to nursing homes. I have also played around on the agility equipment with them as well. Theres lots of stuff out there you can do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
jakecorby

jakecorby

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 5:23 pm

The therapy idea is definately something that I would like to do with him, he justs needs the training first.
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 pm

If you have a look on the Pets As Therapy website you can see all about PAT dogs. I think they have lowered the age from 12 to 9 months now. I do PAT work but mainly with teenagers who have behaviour issues & are in remand fostering.

The Saints & Golden are excellent for that as the kids don't think it looks too dodgy to be giving love to big dogs! The effect they have on kids who regularly batter the sh*t out of each other & are generally very hard work, is amazing & I've never once worried they would hurt any of the dogs

We did do some work at a hospice for children. The Collie & Golden were perfect & loved it, I stopped doing it as I left there everytime in tears.

Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
jakecorby

jakecorby

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Before we got Buster, I saw the PAT dog stand at Crufts this year and had a word with the reps.

It sounds really good for both dog and 'service user'.

He's only 5 months, so still plenty of time to train. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 8:02 am

Years ago i done agility with my very first Saint Bella ... she loved it!!
Back to top Go down
gina

gina

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 am

I have just completed my application to reg Jess as a PAT dog, i think it will be a very rewarding pass time for both of us. Just hope she passes her assesment. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tombearstbernard.com
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:02 am

exciting Gina! you guys will love i!
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:57 am

Gina

its lovely but so so sad..... sometimes you built up a regular "round" at a nursing home and suddenly a room is empty Sad

i cant visit children at all.... brings back great ormond street and harlies heart operations and all the children we watched die...... weird considering this is what made me start!!!

though special needs schools are awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Rumblenewfy

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 am

I'm going to do agility in the summer.  There is nowhere local to take a giant.  The nearest is an hour away in Leicester, but I'm going to take him as we went to a tv show audition called superstar dogs where he got to have a go and he just loved it.
Ps we got through the audition so if anyone wants a giggle we are on channel 4 Thursday 20th February at 5.30pm
Back to top Go down
jakecorby

jakecorby

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Congratulations! will be sure to tune in.
Unfortunately like me, my saint was built for comfort not speed Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scent training with saints   Scent training with saints Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scent training with saints
Page 1 of 1