Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Wobbly/popping hock

Go down 
+5
snippittsuk
ourfairview
Vicki
The Shire
Shel Munro
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shel Munro

Shel Munro

Wobbly/popping hock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly/popping hock   Wobbly/popping hock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am

CanuckNick wrote:

I am considering surgery while she is young. Although expensive, i do love my dogs, as they are part of our family (we have a 9 yr old son, and 2 dogs). She has shown wobbly hind legs since she's around 10 months old. Took her to the vet for x-rays, when she was about 1 year old, and the vet told me back then i should put her down. Ummm i won't ever go back to that vet office. She lives life happily, although i wish i knew if she feels pain. Her hip sockets are not in good shape at all as well. I am considering total hip replacement surgery the non-adhesive type, and perhaps have the same surgeon evaluate what can be done with her hocks. It really sucks the worse. I know surgery is expensive but life is precious and when im old and retired, i don't want to regret not helping her. When she runs, slowly that is, she keeps both legs together like a rabbit, and the wobble only shows at walking or standing stance. It takes her a while to go up and down steps which makes me really sad, unlike our other dogs who's speedy gonzales heheheh.

Dogs are very brave, and live through pain daily, and push themselves to be our best friend, my previous dog who died had a tumor that took up all the space inside him, i only knew it at the end, when it was to late. I wish in-breeding would cease...

Hi Nick,

I took Norm to the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph. Norm has severe bilateral hip dysplasia. To compensate, Norm has altered his gait (to reduce/avoid pain) and this has resulted in the laxity seen in his hocks. He has been seen by two orthopedic surgeons (one at OVC, another in private practice) and both agree that total hip replacement will not help his hocks. Neither would/could tell me if we did the hip replacement surgery whether or not Norm's hocks would be strong enough to support him during recovery and after that.

I opted to invest in physiotherapy/hydrotherapy and it has helped strengthen Norm's rear immensely. Although his hocks still wobble, he's able to lay down from a stand without crashing to the floor and he's able to jump into the van without effort. Norm attended weekly physio/hydrotherapy for a year, and then his sessions switched to bi-weekly which continue today. I have cavalettis for him at home and do stretches, massage and exercises to help keep Norm in the best possible condition. I also keep him very lean (165 lbs) and would like to take another 5-10 lbs off him.

Shel
Back to top Go down
http://www.bytheriver.ca
lora

lora

Wobbly/popping hock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly/popping hock   Wobbly/popping hock - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm

I second the hydrotherapy option before going the drastic surgical route. It still leaves surgery as option. Hydrotherapy does yield amazing results and its worth a shot. Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com

Wobbly/popping hock
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2