Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

viewings of puppies?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

viewings of puppies? Empty
PostSubject: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 pm

at what age do you let people view your puppies?

i get the feeling some people choose them from pretty much newborn, its something i dont do or allow if i have a bitch here ( unless its her family) i really think a bitch esp if maiden needs at least a week to get used to it all before strangers start showing up!

my own puppies are viewable from two+ weeks(dependant on bitch and puppies being ok and that visiters scrub up and remove SHOES in the puppy room) yet they change soooo very much i think later is better,

i also think hygene is something alot of people forget around new puppies eg turning up with a bad cold or bug and bringing there poorly children - sorry not in my house! my puppies are far more important than getting a deposit early!

cheri

Last edited by ourfairview on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SPELLING)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:22 pm

I don't let people view until 4 weeks+
Even then i spray everyone with disinfectant & make them put the anti bacterial hand stuff on.
Any one who has dogs at home needs to have left home in fresh clothes..
After all the hard work of rearing a litter the last thing I want is anyone bringing germs... I did have kennel cough go through everyone bar the bitch with puppies in one litter & I have no idea where that came from.

This litter will go at 10 weeks since they were hand reared.. all doing absolutely great now at nearly 6 weeks but I want to be 110% sure that they will be fine & sturdy in new homes.. I don't want my puppy people's first few weeks spent to & from vet when they should be enjoying it all
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:25 pm

forgot to mention changing of clothes lol

also if i take one out eg to show then they get disenfected before going back with the others , just because the dogs they meet seem nice show dogs ......

just incase!
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 pm

We dont allow anyone to physically view until they are 4-5 weeks due to fear of infection. If any dogs or people go to a show, then its a full change of clothes & shower for humans & safe 4 sprayed on dogs feet. The pups & mum are kept away from the others, but none the less. We wont let anyone come straight from a show to look at pups either.

We will send pictures to all prospective families from birth onwards, however although I have a general idea when they are born who I would like to keep, i cant say for sure until they are around 7 weeks old & steadily running around, even then it can e a hard decision.
Back to top Go down
Doline

Doline

PostSubject: Re: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:09 am

There is some pro's for living 'out of civilisation'. Since we are about 5 hours drive from the closest city, people cannot really come and see puppies.
Puppies are thus just viewed through the internet, and I try to do weekly updates. I do reccomentations as to who get what pup (ofcourse after they indicated what they would like e.g smooth/rough, mantle/splash/ bitch / dog etc.) But final 'placements' will only be at 7 weeks after aptitude tests.

At 8 weeks the litters is then transported back to the city from where the new owners can come pick them up, or we fly the ones that needs to go further then that!

The up side is I never really get any diseases in the kennels as there's nothing/no-one to bring in germs, and ofcourse no unnecesary 'traffic' through the kennels.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gwenevre.co.za
Saint

PostSubject: Re: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:45 pm

I would leave mine until 4/5 weeks. and it could be later depending on how strong the puppies are and the Female.
I also would make people remove shoes and wash their hands before they touch my puppies lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: viewings of puppies?   viewings of puppies? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

viewings of puppies?
Page 1 of 1