Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

due dates and overdue dates!!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

due dates and overdue dates!!! Empty
PostSubject: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:14 pm

if you mated a bitch for a week ( everyday) when would you be checking if the puppies are still ok inside them mum

eg if the bitch took on the first mating but didnt give birth until the due date for the last mating- so a week late - would all the puppies be dead- ive been told that 3 days is enough to start panicing

but if you dont know a due date what do you do - scan every other day??

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Well ....

I had a discussion about this with a very good friend of mine, who is well up on info on breeding/genetics etc ..... she gave me a book, that is very good ....

Basically a bitch will whelp 63 days after ovulation, (not last mating).

Technically there is no such thing as 'late or early', she has her pups at 63 days .

Because a bitch will stand & receive the male, it doesn't actually mean she is ovulating that day, or on the previous or subsequent days. She could be standing & mated on the Monday, but not actually ovulate until the wednesday, or, ovulate the previous friday, but not be mated till the Monday etc .... sooo unless you know when your bitch was actually ovulating (usually determinded by the idexx progesterone test) you wont know for sure her actual due date (i.e 63 days)

As my vet says, they come when they are ready & not before. If the bitch is happy, not stressing, or giving signs there could be something wrong, then don't panic. I tend to get them checked out every other day when they are getting near their due date just for my own piece of mind. I've had them go upto 5 days 'late' & some upto 4 days early, but going by the 63 day from OVULATING & not mating rule, then technically they are not late.

A still born puppy is usually either the first (& generally though of the one that is sacrificed & 'opens' the way for the rest to follow) or, one of the last, especially if its a long or large litter. I have had 18hr labours with the last puppy still alive, but the odd stillborn half way through.
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:56 pm

thanks kathy!

i like to worry- keeps me busy

whats the book called and who by?

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Whos Due LOL?

Its called Canine Reproduction & whelping (a Dog Breeders Guide) by Myra Savant Harris R.N

Its a great book .... she is quite tongue in cheek at times, makes good reading Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Sense of humour always handy when you're busy peeling yourself off the ceiling!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:51 am

LOL yes, especially when you are on the 3rd night of waiting with hardly any sleep LOL .. this book had be chuckling a few times !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: due dates and overdue dates!!!   due dates and overdue dates!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

due dates and overdue dates!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Breeding :: breeding-
Jump to: