Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

garlic and fleas!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

my dogs are allowed to do all sorts of naughty things.........

i dont mind clearing up all there mess but I DONT DO FLEAS!

since having any of my dogs and infact my cat we have never had fleas ( touch wood lol)

i have NEVER used flea treatment they have garlic every day it costs next too nothing is natural and is one less substance they dont need to have!

what do you do about flea provention???

do you think its ok to give garlic every day? some people dont,

i know of my 5 st bernards who a flea free and a friend who has 14 dogs who is also flea free on garlic

cheri xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 pm

We use garlic granules in the dogs food 3-4 times a week ... seems to work fine for us too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gina

gina

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 10:17 am

I learn something new everyday on this site Very Happy

Thanks Cheri / Kathy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tombearstbernard.com
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am

well there you are gina my good deed for the day is done!

not only is it natural its so much cheaper esp when you start getting the st bernard bug and your numbers go up and up and up !!!

cheri xxx
Back to top Go down

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm

ourfairview wrote:
well there you are gina my good deed for the day is done!

not only is it natural its so much cheaper esp when you start getting the st bernard bug and your numbers go up and up and up !!!

cheri xxx

The granules i get from our local pet shop are horse ones, 7 a refil pack is about £3 or there abouts ....

yes, well numbers ... i went from 1 to 12 in 5 years!!!!
Back to top Go down
BeBe

BeBe

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 5:21 pm

My view is: Garlic is great - BUT in moderation!!

I too use it for Hannibal (and myself!) and don't seem to have any problem with fleas (either of us!!!) - touch wood!

I used to use the granules (horse-size tubs, like KL) on a daily basis but now I just give him a capsule a couple of times a week. I made the change after a chat with a homeopath after I'd read that, if given in excess, garlic can inhibit the production of red blood cells. His take on the matter was that it's great in moderation but, like so many things, don't overdo it!

I used to do the vet-recommended flea treament stuff but am not really happy about loading on the chemicals and, let's be honest, preparations like Frontline are horrendously expensive. The only reason I still occasionally resort to Frontline is the dreaded tick - but I find that if we avoid forested areas during the summer months it's not too much of a problem.

Talking of ticks - all my roughs have been COMPLETE TICK MAGNATES - the pesky little arachnids just seem to love their fur - what are other people's experiences?

BeBe
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 6:31 pm

needless to say daisy the hedgehog lover does often get ticks - none of my others have and we do take them to theford forest at least weekly

maybe the smooths are less tick prone???
Back to top Go down
BeBe

BeBe

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Yep, I think on the whole smooth coated dogs are less prone to ticks - although, as you know only too well (Daisy!!!), they do still sometimes get them around the muzzle, eyes etc!!

My theory is that the pesky creatures love crawling around in the long silky fur of the roughs - we've come back from the forest during the summer months to find loads of them crawling around looking for a place to settle and get sucking - YUK! Hate 'em with a vengence!!

We're waiting for the first cold snap/frost before we start taking Han back to the forest - which, incidentally, he loves!!

BeBe
Back to top Go down
rinnie69

rinnie69

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 am

yep i use Garlic too, 2-3 x a week. not used flea treatments for 4 yrs. i use organic wormers too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

garlic and fleas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: garlic and fleas!   garlic and fleas! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

garlic and fleas!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Saint bernard Healthcare-
Jump to: