Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

slight limp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cart5832002

cart5832002

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:40 am

hi all, yesterday i noticed murphy had a very slight limp affecting his right front leg. it doesnt seem to be bothering him too much but as always i am worried about him, i`m sure i didnt worry this much about the kids when they were small lol. he has never liked his legs being touched so i am waiting until hes fast asleep today and going to try and take a look. i have just been reading the article on here about panosteitis, do you think it could be this? i am having to stop myself from ringing the vets panicking so was thinking of leaving it a couple of days to see how it goes, any advice on this? its as if he doesnt want to put as much weight on it as his other leg. could his diet be having any effect on it? if anyone can give any advice i would be most grateful, mandy and murphy
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:48 am

after checking there is nothing in his foot i would leave it until monday unless you can see he is in pain

i gave my limping bitch arnica 30 from any health store eh boots .holland and barrets and maybe tescos! i followed the instrutions for a adult

it does happen sometimes if you think there maybe something in his foot disolve a tablespoon of epsom salts in hot water and put his foot in the bowl for 5 mins that will draw anything out

DO NOT let him lick the water or salts as he will get the runs -BAD!

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
cart5832002

cart5832002

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 9:10 am

thanks cheri, my son has just gone to meadowhall so hes going to pick me some up and i will also try the epsom salts even though i cannot see anything in his foot. mandy and murphy
Back to top Go down

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Saints are prone to 'growing pains' which in a roundabout way is what panostitis is. This condition (not that we are sayitn it IS that at all) is self limiting, which means dogs grow out of it. They have intermittend lameness from leg to leg.

Our vet tells us to give Vitamin C daily throughout the growth phase to help against growing pains.

IF you cant see anything obviously wrong, then rest him until you can see a vet on Monday. 'Pano' can only be diagnosed fully by X-ray but if your vet has any worries he/she im sure will do the necessary tests. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cart5832002

cart5832002

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:09 pm

hi, thanks for the advice. i have been giving murphy arnica 30 since cheri suggested it yesterday and today murphy seems a lot better and anyone not looking to see if he is limping would probably not notice it as it is so slight. trying to get him to rest it is hard as hes so nosy if anyone comes in or out he has to go and see them. should i be giving him vitamin c? do they do it for dogs or do i buy human kind? i suppose i will eventually get to the stage of not worrying about every little thing with him. if i am still worried about him tomorrow i will ask the vet to take a look. thanks again, mandy and murphy
Back to top Go down

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:20 pm

I would as matter of course give Vit C. They only need 250mg a DAY. You cannot overdo Vit C, what the body does not use it will excrete. I use bog standard human kind from tescos.
Back to top Go down
sue

sue

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 am

we to give our dogs vitamin C but it must not have Ester C in it as this is toxic to dogs. We start our puppies at 6 weeks on it and by the time they are 1 year old they are on 1000mils per day, they cannot overdose on it as the will lose excess in there urine.

Sue
Back to top Go down
http://www.lusanne.co.nz
Sponsored content

slight limp Empty
PostSubject: Re: slight limp   slight limp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

slight limp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Saint bernard Healthcare-
Jump to: