Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

muddy puppies

Go down 
+4
Vicki
Mawreddog
ourfairview
Marles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Marles

Marles

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Does anyone have any tips on keeping puppies chins and chests dry? My baby girl drinks for England (water hehe)and is constantly wet. I'm forever chasing her with a towel to try and dry the fur.

Cheri you probably dont have this problem with your smooths do you?
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:58 am

no i dont have this problem! however daisy would be the worst but she wipes her mouth on dora after she drinks lol Very Happy

why not get a bib???

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 am

Toby is just like is grandad Odin.. minging bib 99% of the time!
I watch him drink and the last mouthful he just lest seep out of the sides of his mouth.. then goes to lie in his mud patch!

I do mop him with towel as Odin used to get wet excema under there from being soggy all the time.. I never leave bibs on the the time as they smell even worse when soggy & am sure they harbour even more germs!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
Marles

Marles

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Done the bib thing, just gets wet as mawreddog says!! Its exactly the same - that last mouthful seems to linger for a few seconds until she spots her target
I almost want one of those plastic "catch it" bibs I used to have for the children years ago lol!
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Vicki

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:08 pm

heather

what did you used to do about odin having wet eczema, blob had a nasty bout of it, and we had to shave him it was that bad Rolling Eyes

william is a sod for having a minging neck, wet constantly and the skin is always quite red and sore looking, somebody mentioned aloe vera gel which i have used on it, just don't want to have to shave all the time, takes soooo long to grow back, just wondered how you dealt with it scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.lealemontsaintbernards.co.uk
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:42 pm

When it was first bad it was all clipped right back to the skin, the smell was grim! Mind it was mainly that bit right up under his chin that you can't seen anyway & a little bit further down, which I clipped less short.
With the wet excema (wrong spelling lol!) we had steroid cream which cleared it up quite quickly, then i just used aqueous cream from the chemist as a barrier to the drool & it wasnt red & sore after that.

Toby is just like his grandad & it gets matted & red looking so I blast it dry, comb out the knots & slather aqueous cream on the red bits.
I did use unscented talc when I couldn't find the cream & that seemed to soothe it but obviously hair there has to be dry or you get clods or soggy talc..nice!!
No-one has enough bibs at home for a constant supply so the towelling tea towels are quite good if you can change them often enough

H
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
Vicki

Vicki

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:12 am

that's brill thanks heather

must say we have been blasting it dry, looks so much better and not so dark looking (the hair i mean) when it's been dried, but he only has to have one drink and back to square one, he is so mucky it's untrue

think i will get some of that aqueous cream, didn't think about it being a barrier, thanks v much Very Happy

xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.lealemontsaintbernards.co.uk
elephantgirl0104

elephantgirl0104

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi, I have found this topic sooo helpful, hope has now got this problem ( and looks like she gonna be a smooth! lol) It's really sore and smelly, have been drying her with a towel everytime she has a drink but we are off to the vets this afternoon to get something for it and when it has cleared up will def use the cream to form a barrier.
poor little love, have put her water in a bowl on the floor again as we had just started to use a raised bowl and all of her face goes in that, so hopefully that will help too.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm

if she is smooth you would know by now !!!( whoooo hooooo another smooth!!!)

im not sure cream is the best thing to use all the time- i think a blast and a puff of powder wouldnt do much harm- maybe wound powder or talc for dogs???

again the powder would clog up so regular washing would be needed anyway!

she is a very pretty girl btw

was her mum or her dad smooth?? who are they??

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Chasidyz

Chasidyz

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:29 pm

surprisingly enough i don't have this problem with ben, he's a pretty graceful drinker and doesn't produce a ton of drool unless he's running hard or looking at someone's food cheers

my old saint used to be like that, he was constantly wet! good luck!
Back to top Go down
elephantgirl0104

elephantgirl0104

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Have been to vets and after a shave, bathe and some steroid cream she seems happier already (and much less smelly! lol)
We have to bathe her under chin each morning and apply cream morning and night until it clears, then perhaps keep hair shorter under her chin and use a barrier cream if needed to help keep dry. Doggy talc sounds like a good idea too cheri. Her mum is a roughcoat.. and her dad smooth though his is curly, she def like her dad and her super soft coat is just getting curly towards her rear lol. The longest bit of her fur is that bit under her chin- or it was!! lol! At least its where you can't see it, bless her. Can remember mums KC name but not dads off top of head so will have a look at papers in morning and let you know.
Thanks for all help.

Angie xx
Back to top Go down
rinnie69

rinnie69

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 am

when Indi had it we shaved back to skin and an inch around the area, washed twice a day with diluted hibiscrub and dried well, no creams . then kept the hair shorter there. not had it since, 5.5 yrs ago Very Happy
Back to top Go down
elephantgirl0104

elephantgirl0104

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks, am def gonna keep hair shorter under there and going to continue drying her everytime she has a drink,( which have to do anyway as otherwise there is a trail of water all over house lol! ) and gonna see if that's enough to keep it from happening again, at the slightest sign of it re-occuring will use a barrier cream. It's healing really nicely already, so fingers crossed!!
Back to top Go down
sue

sue

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 4:53 am

Hi we have dog lixits here we import them from America. Great things the dogs nudge them with there teeth and the water starts to flow. Always fresh water no worrys about a bucket getting knocked over. We have about 5 on the property by the time our puppies leave at 8 weeks they are using them. and no slobbery wet mouths to worry about
Back to top Go down
http://www.lusanne.co.nz
Sponsored content

muddy puppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: muddy puppies   muddy puppies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

muddy puppies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Grooming-
Jump to: