Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

premate? or set days

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

premate? or set days Empty
PostSubject: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 pm

who uses premate and who here just mates the bitch on cirtain days?
also how many matings?
cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:37 pm

We do a pre-mate swab that our vet does, but i will on Angels next season use Idex blood testing which is far more acurate as it can pin point the day the bitch will be ovulating, therefore more sucessful mating.

We usually mate twice over a 48hr period Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KazzF

KazzF

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:26 pm

I use the Matetel ovulation detector, which once you have got the hang of is really simple to use. Good results and it can also be used to see if the bitch is in whelp at 2 weeks post mating (although it is not marketed as able to do this).

Karen
Back to top Go down
http://www.lanleadanestbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:27 pm

I've heard of them Karen, are they really as reliable as i've heard? How easy are they to understand/get the hang of?
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 3:12 pm

we normally have the premate blood test for which day to mate, ive been told it can also tell if the bitch will whelp in the next 24 or 48 hours or go back again for retesting after if your still waiting! id just wait anyway!
matel is supposed to work really well but only on cirtain bitches ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
islamorada

islamorada

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 am

I have a Matetel but couldn't get really get the hang of it (probably my fault). I have had two successful matings using Canine Ovulation Detector pads. They are easy to use and much cheaper than blood testing.
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 am

We have a human version of Ovatel (think thats the name) that tests the saliva & also urine sticks created for humans too, of varying strengths - probably for women who have lower hormone levels showing in their urine.. I couldn't work out what strength I needed so I got one of each!
We did run a test last time the girls came in, to see which was most successful.
I also tried them on myself (as a control lol !!)
The saliva crystals test was spot on for Maisy & Zozo, but not on Lucy
The urine sticks (the 40's) worked on Maisy & Lucy, the 30's worked on Zozo.. I have to say catching the wee was a nightmare & I had to pay Lillie to do it!!!
The idexx bloodtest was also accurate. Millie was mated once on the day specified & has a tummy full

• The saliva Ovatel was about £12 to buy
  • The urine sticks were £5 for 25 if I remember
  • The Idexx test was £25 plus recorded delivery & whatever your vet charges to draw blood

If you haven't used any of the home testing things before, its definitely worth trying on yourself so you know what you are looking for (Jim & Craig excepted lol)
I do have some of the urine sticks here if anyone wants to try them. They are in date until the end of the year & I don't plan to breed again until next year, so let me know if you can use them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: premate? or set days   premate? or set days Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

premate? or set days
Page 1 of 1