Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Food Dilemma

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tansy

tansy

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 am

I'm new here, and need advice please. When our boy arrived, we learned he'd been previously fed on a 'working dog' kibble of no description (long story). I sought advice from a vetinary practice who suggested I wean him onto James Wellbeloved. As the person said they'd owned a Saint, I felt secure in going ahead. I know all dogs are different, but he had to be coaxed to eat it. He was underweight when he arrived and thankfully now is at a normal weight. However, I have since had Royal Canin suggested for him, from a good source (rescue).

Before purchasing, I wanted to gain more thoughts on diet. He's just 18 months, and so I want to ensure he develops correctly and healthily, as well as enjoying his food.
Back to top Go down
Tracy Marlow

Tracy Marlow

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 am

We feed ours on Fish 4 Dogs as recommended by Cheri. It's not the cheapest but my two love it and are looking really good on it!
Back to top Go down
tansy

tansy

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated. I've been hanging about here in hope that someone would help, since we're almost out of food and have to buy more soon. There's just enough amount left to introduce a new one to him. I'll look for the one you suggested, but something tells me it may have to be ordered?
Back to top Go down
tansy

tansy

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Tracy...even!
Back to top Go down

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Royal Canin Giant is an excellent good quality food for dogs. I have fed it in the past & very good to get dogs who are on the light side to gain weight.

We feed Arden Grange & Raw to ours, some like it others dont, A few of our 'oldies' prefer a chicken & rice 'worker' which they thrive on. Each dog is different. I would say if he is thriving & eats the RC, then keep him on that rather than try him on different foods & end up with a finicky eater Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:11 pm

The dogs I have fed on RC Giant have been fine with the puppy but the Junior variety sent them bouncing off the walls for some reason & I've heard it has had the same effect on some other Saints. The Adult RC Giant has huuuge kibble bits that none of mine will touch LOL but a pup that I bred & his half sister, now 3 & 4 are fed on the Adult, they eat the huge bits & look really well on it
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
tansy

tansy

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted to help with food advice. I learned that Fish4Dogs has to be ordered. It does sound like a great product, but I'd prefer to be able to go and buy food as and when from a local supplier.

We brought the James Wellbeloved, as when he first came with nothing, we didn't want to give him poor quality food. Lanebern (hello to you and beautiful dogs) quite rightly commented that it's not a good idea to have them become finicky. He really didn't take to Wellbeloved food at all, and hasn't been given any Royal Canin as yet, might try that, or Arden Grange. But thanks for the 'heads up'
Mawreddog, I'll be careful about which one to choose. Bouncing off walls is a scenario I'd rather not create Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Mawreddog wrote:
The Adult RC Giant has huuuge kibble bits that none of mine will touch LOL

The giant kibbles are supposed to help prevent bloat. There was an American study a few years ago that suggested larger kibble to encourage them to actually chew and not scarf their food down thus gulping less air when eating. Not sure if there is any actual truth to this or more just anecdotal evidence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
Sponsored content

New Food Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Food Dilemma   New Food Dilemma Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Food Dilemma
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Food and nutrition-
Jump to: