Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

what age to spay?

Go down 
+2
ourfairview
cheryl x
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cheryl x

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: what age to spay?   what age to spay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi, Molly is 13months old and just finished her 1st season

she didn't have a easy time week 2 she got a urine infection.

I have decided i want to get her spayed as we live in a built up area with lots of surrounding dogs, and i dont want to breed her either,

but i wanted opinions on what is the best age to do so? my vet says the younger the better as they have a better recovery and it eliminates other

problems,but i have also read about spay incontinence and growth problems when done to young. Could any of you help me on this one please

Cheryl
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what age to spay?   what age to spay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 pm

ive bumped to the top the same subject from a while back, hope it helps you

cheri xxx
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Tracy Marlow

Tracy Marlow

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what age to spay?   what age to spay? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 am

Hi,

We had Anya spayed last year and she was just past her second birthday. Our reason was purely that we had got Nelson and their mum's were litter sisters so breeding was an absolute no. They both hated being kept apart when Anya was in season, hence our decision. We opted for laprascopic spay, although due to a slight complication she had to have traditional surgery but recovered well and we have had no problems at all - she is still our beautiful healthy girl.

hope this helps
Smile
Back to top Go down
CanuckNick

CanuckNick

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what age to spay?   what age to spay? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:46 am

Its a personal choice but from 6-7 months or older, it is safe to have them fixed. Wait until he or she is 1 year old if you want. Females are easier since they don't want to pull out their stiches as much as males. We didnt even have to use the lampshade (elizabethen collar) thing on her, she was fine.

She seemed happy as a pig in ***t hehehe !!!

Canucknick ;-)
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what age to spay?   what age to spay? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
Doline

Doline

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: spay/neutering age   what age to spay? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm probably off the bandwagon here, but I thought just to add my 2c any way.

I recently read the book by Prof KGM De Cramer (Breeding is a bitch). New technology and methods, makes 'early spaying/neutering something to look into, and apparently on the increase.

I quote: "Some breeder may still have questions regarding early sterilization. There is no increase risk of infectious disease provided the puppies are vaccinated on schedule and are not exposed to a virulent virus at the time of sterilization. It is advisable to postpone sterilisation until 1 wee after the completion of the vaccination regimen if non-exposure to an infectious virus cannot be guaranteed.

Many breeders and veterinary surgeons may still believe that early sterilization of puppies affect their growth, but several research studies have refuted this. Obesity can occur in both neutered and intact animals as it is influence by factors such as diet, calorie intake and activity levels. Obesity is more likely in spayed bitches and neutered males, irrespective of whether the surgery was permed at an early age or not.

Dogs neutered at traditional ages can develop urinary incontinence within days of the surgery or several years later. Oestrogen-responsive urinary incontinence can occur in up to 4% of bitches which are spayed at the conventional age. To date, there is no evidence that suggest that the incidence of urinary sphincter incompetence which leads to urinary incontinence is higher in bitches which were spayed at an earlier age.

In conclusion: there is no conclusive evidence that the early sterilization of young bitches holds any increased risk other then the normal risk associated with sterilization at a conventional age. A Bitch should be sterlise as soon as possible or as soon as it's decided, not to breed with her anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwenevre.co.za
Sponsored content

what age to spay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what age to spay?   what age to spay? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what age to spay?
Page 1 of 1