Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How much to trim feet?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MrsPita

MrsPita

How much to trim feet? Empty
PostSubject: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Walter is a rough coated Saint and has extremely hairy feet. I know the fur between his pads should be kept short, but how about the feathering on the back of the foot and the fur growing over the nails?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 7:14 pm

From a show prospective, we trim all hair under the pads (so that the underfoot hair is level with the pad). We also brush up the hair between the toes & finger pluck the hair out, then lightly trim the hair with thinnng scissors to tidy up. Behind the foot (on the pastern) & the back of the legs, we again just trim off the 'wispy bits' to give a tidy look to the leg & foot.
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Unless of course you have a smooth, in which case none of the above is required lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 pm

There is that LOL! Although I do still trim the underfoot hair, doesnt gro as profusely as a rough coat, but a little trim in needed Smile
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 7:38 pm

and their tails!
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
MrsPita

MrsPita

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:51 pm

ourfairview wrote:
and their tails!

Does the tail need trimming too? And how about the ears?

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation saintlvr! I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Marles

Marles

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 am

When I do my saints feet they always look jagged, is that because I used ordinary scissors instead of thinking ones?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Marles,

Yes its very likely. You can get 2 types of thinning scissors, double edged (which have teeth on both sides) & Half tooth (with one side like a normal straight scissor & the other side with teeth. We use normal scissors for shaping the foot & to trim the underside of the foot & backs of legs, the thinners we then use to trim the actual foot & back of legs too.

We dont trim tails on any of the dogs, they shouldnt need it really, not even a smooth. As for the ears, they bacome very fluffy, you can strip the hair with a stripping comb, or just uyse your index finger & thumb & 'pluck' the longer hair out to leave the smoother darker hair.

If i remember, next time i do a dog I wil try get some pics to show you what i mean ... failing that, when Bunny starts to need to be trimmed, i will take pics, but that wont be for a while yet.
Back to top Go down
Marles

Marles

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much! Sorry about the "thinking" scissors hehe! That would be really helpful to see photos, I get a bit carried away like when pruning then look at them and think omg i have butchered them Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:59 pm

lol thinking scissors!
i always round the end of my smooths tails
cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
SzajdaSaints

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 7:31 pm

I need to watch someone pluck!! i use thinners but I think id have better luck on the "bed head" ears if I plucked.. feet too !
Saintlvr wrote:
Hi Marles,

Yes its very likely. You can get 2 types of thinning scissors, double edged (which have teeth on both sides) & Half tooth (with one side like a normal straight scissor & the other side with teeth. We use normal scissors for shaping the foot & to trim the underside of the foot & backs of legs, the thinners we then use to trim the actual foot & back of legs too.

We dont trim tails on any of the dogs, they shouldnt need it really, not even a smooth. As for the ears, they bacome very fluffy, you can strip the hair with a stripping comb, or just uyse your index finger & thumb & 'pluck' the longer hair out to leave the smoother darker hair.

If i remember, next time i do a dog I wil try get some pics to show you what i mean ... failing that, when Bunny starts to need to be trimmed, i will take pics, but that wont be for a while yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much to trim feet?   How much to trim feet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much to trim feet?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Grooming-
Jump to: