Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Raised Feeding?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ali1606

Raised Feeding? Empty
PostSubject: Raised Feeding?   Raised Feeding? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Is it best to feed saints using raised bowls?

When we had our dane we were always advised to raise feed due to bloat and being giant breed, is this the same for saints?
Back to top Go down

Raised Feeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raised Feeding?   Raised Feeding? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Theres no 'real' answer to this one to be honest.

I have a Dane, bullmastiff & saints.... some are raised fed, some fed with bowls on the floor .... I know others have the same & have experienced bloat from both feeding situations ...

I think it comes down more to allowing the dog rest time (min an hour) both before & after exercise & not allowing them to drink too much. We also soak their food to allow any swelling to appear in the bowl & not in the stomach.

We are also very careful in the winter to not let the dogs drink water that has become too cold through being out in ice or snowy weather, think brain freeze when you eat an ice lolly etc, i do think that giving water that cold regardless of weather can allow the stomach to spasm through the coldness, therefore bloat a possibility IMO

Back to top Go down
ali1606

Raised Feeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raised Feeding?   Raised Feeding? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 11:55 am

That's great thanks.
Back to top Go down
BernieSaintBernard

Raised Feeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raised Feeding?   Raised Feeding? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I think any bowl is good for saints because they can drink at any bowl which is different with some small breeds because some of them are having difficulties in drinking in raised bowls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raised Feeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raised Feeding?   Raised Feeding? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raised Feeding?
Page 1 of 1