Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dealing with congestive heart failure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ropechew

Dealing with congestive heart failure Empty
PostSubject: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Symptoms:
Panting has a 'harsh' sound - caused by fluid in the lungs. You can tell with a stethoscope, or even with your fingertips you can actually feel the phlegm causing vibrations. The dog won't want to lie down but paces continually. You sometimes hear the dog making a 'vomit' type 'yeee--argh' sound as if trying to get rid of something stuck in the throat.
Treatment:
Enalapril 10mg daily, plus diuretics to reduce the fluid build up: Lasix (furosemide) 2 x 40mG (total 80mG) twice daily.
Back to top Go down
Ropechew

PostSubject: Time runs out   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 pm

I see I made my last post about this on July 30.
On October 19, I had to call in the vet to put my dog to sleep.
We had run out of options and there wasn't anything more we could do, he had two bad heart attacks and was obviously going to have more.
Despite our best efforts he only lasted a little more than two months.
At the end he was on 80mg of furosemide, 3 x per day (that's the maximum) plus 10mg x Enalapril in the morning, and 5mg x Ramipril in the evening. That was the best regime we found for him.
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 4:19 pm

im so sorry to hear your sad news

your tried your best and when the time came you did what you had to do

cheri xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that sad news Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Im so sorry for your loss
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
Ropechew

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks everybody. I'm sure we'll have another when the time is right.
Back to top Go down
BernieSaintBernard

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 am

Diuretics can be prescribed as a treatment for Congestive Heart Failure. My cousin's dog has CHF too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with congestive heart failure   Dealing with congestive heart failure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dealing with congestive heart failure
Page 1 of 1