Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy

Go down 
+2
lorri
Mawreddog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Empty
PostSubject: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on DCM?

Thanks

Heather
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
lorri

lorri

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 8:31 am

Hi heather our pup bernie died of that (she was chesters litter sister) but not sure if it was dilated also alan on fb had a dog with that maybe worth asking him if it was dilated.

Lorri
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Lorri

I remember Chester's sis now..
Did you try meds?
Back to top Go down
lorri

lorri

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 am

Unfortunatley she went too soon she was in the animal hospital but dont know if you remember when they did they pm she had prob with her kidneys not forming and this caused the complications which killed her but before that they were trying her on meds. Is it one of your own dogs? Hope they will be ok

Lorri x
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:28 am

Course, I remember the kidney probs now, sorry.
Yes, it's one of mine.
Never any real sign until Monday & seems to be sliding quite quickly.
I understand meds just make the symptoms better just to buy you some time, seems in younger dogs it all goes horribly wrong faster than it does in older dogs.
Very sad Crying or Very sad
xx
Back to top Go down
lorri

lorri

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 11:30 am

Im sorry to hear that heather its hard to know what to for the best i have heard it can give them a few more months but what their quality of life would be like i cant say. the guy on fb his dog was older i think he got 6 more months with him.

Lorri x
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 11:45 am

heather, hope you are having lovely snuggles on the sofa with him and dont foregt to take pictures xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Vicki

Vicki

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 am

Omg heather so sorry, no experience of dcm personally, we have a few in at work but generally seems to be oldies that suffer with it, sometimes the mess work wonders and they go on for couple of years but recently had one elderly lab meds didn't really help :0(
if there's anything I can do just ask x x x
Back to top Go down
http://www.lealemontsaintbernards.co.uk
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 12:06 pm

this is what i found when googling it for those who dont know what it is xxx

Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) is a disease of the heart muscle. Although it is known that DCM can be caused by specific nutritional deficiencies, in many cases the cause of the disease is unknown. There are various theories, however. These include genetic factors, viral infections, exposure to chemical toxins and, amino acid deficiency.

DCM is more common in medium to large breeds of dog rather than small dogs. Some breeds are more susceptible to the disease than others, for example, Dobermann, Cocker and Springer Spaniels, Boxer, Irish Setters, German Shepherds, Great Danes, St Bernard and Irish Wolfhounds. Middle- aged male dogs tend to be most affected.

In DCM the heart fails to pump effectively. The contractions of the heart are weak and blood is not supplied to the body as efficiently as previously. In addition, the heart stretches and enlarges.

Because the heart's ability to pump is impaired, circulation is also impaired. For a time your dog's body may make adjustments to allow it to cope. However, at some point, the disease overrides the adjustments that have been made and the dog can become unwell and shows signs of heart failure. DCM may affect your dog's body in a number of different ways.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm

We had the very sad loss of our 2nd Saint Sammy to DCM along with a few other issues, although it was the DCM that took him in the end.

Fist sign was his sudden collapse when in the garden playing with our collies we had back then. It was like a fainting spell, was only out for a minute if that, but it seemed an eternity!

Scan showed an enlargement on the left side of his heart & although we discussed medication for him, we decided against it as the side effects & that they rarely work didn't give us much hope.

Sammy lived for just under a year from diagnosis, but he also had other issues going on & after several collapses he became worse, his lack of quality of life outweighed anything else so we had t make the sad choice to let him rest at peace. He was the first Saint we had to let go Sad
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Thank you :-)

Its really hard to know what to do for the best. This dog is only 2.5 yrs old. A week ago you would never have known there was anything wrong with him.

My vet isn't overwhelmingly positive about meds for him I think he is giving them to me to make me feel better & like I've tried everything.

What I don't want to do is give him these meds, just to supposedly make him feel better when the outcome will be the same anyway.

The problem is, apart from excessive kipping & panting (and that he collapsed earlier in the week) when he's awake, he is still the happy clappy boy we've always known, so I can't justify doing anything drastic yet. However I am realistic that seeing how he has declined in the past 5 days that it won't be a very long time for him & wondering if there is any point with these meds as he doesn't appear to be suffering.

I think I will give them a go as long as there are no adverse effects & see how we go.

What a hideously sad breed, we are heartbroken Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I think go for the meds ... you have nothing to loose, i know you will make the right choices for the dog, you always have ... you are and always have been unselfish in that respect.

This breed is in a MESS!! People KNOW there are issues (other than the more common HD etc) , yet they still choose to use dogs/lines where these unseen problems exist .... & still choose to use them! I have had my fair share of probs this last year too, but I am working at changing what I breed with & with the info i have received this last 10 months i know what NOT to use & will try my best to steer clear!

Hugs to you all .... take comfort in that you will & have always done what is best x

Back to top Go down
Chasidyz

Chasidyz

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm

no experience but ::hugs:: anyway. send my love to the pup too, it's always hard to know there's not much you can do. good luck with the meds if you try them!
Back to top Go down
sue

sue

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Heather
this is sad news and a shitty thing as it is one of those things not picked up in testing until it is there , try the medication being a younger dog it may work in your favour so many people go on about hips being the biggest isssue until they get something like this , touch wood we have not had this problem and hope we never have . Take care
Back to top Go down
http://www.lusanne.co.nz
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy   DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DCM - Dilated Cardio Myopathy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Saint bernard Healthcare-
Jump to: