Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

those who have a dog with bloat

Go down 
+3
snippittsuk
Vicki
ourfairview
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

those who have a dog with bloat Empty
PostSubject: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 12:18 pm

at the moment there seams to be alot of dogs getting bloat

i think it would be helpfull if any one who has had experience with bloat to post some infomation on what happened at the time

this is for dogs that have made it after the op and for those that havent those who have a dog with bloat Icon_sad

maybe between us we can pick up on a clear indicator or maybe not but still think it maybe worth discussing anyway ,

any one wanting to add anything else feel free!!!

1- how old was the dog?

2-what brand of food was fed?

3-was the food dry? wet? moist? anything added?

4-was water witheld after eating?

5-was the food and water bowls raised?

6- what was done shortly before it happened?

7- how long from "thinking it might be" to knowing it was bloat?

8- how long after a meal did it happen?

9- how long after exercise did it happen?

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Vicki

Vicki

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Our boy Monty bloated and had a gdv at the age of 5, we had been to a local companion dog show that day, finished up about 2pm adn then had a walk around town after, got home about 3ish, he seemed pretty normal, fed them about 6.30, he'd settled for about an hour and then just as we were about to serve up our dinner, he started wretching so we let him into the garden to be sick, checked on him only to find he was bringing up lots of white frothy stuff, so I said to Craig i'm going to bring him I want to see what his belly looks like, brought him in and OMG his stomach was huge, like a massive barrell and really quite hard.

We rushed him to the van, he was quite happy to trot to the van wasn't collapsed or anything, rang the vet to tell him we were coming in with a bloated dog (luckily I worked there so they knew me and Mo), texted Kathy who rang me back she was a godsend, i was getting pretty hysterical and she was so good calming me down, Craig drove like someone possessed!!

Got there he was still wretching and getting bigger by the second, the vet turned up and tried to pass a rubber hose down his throat to try to alleviate the gas in his stomach but it wouldn't pass, then did an x-ray which confirmed he had twisted, on both ends hence why the hose wouldn't pass down into his tummy.

He then had surgery on it, his stomach was stitched to the abdo wall so that hopefully it wouldn't happen again, he came through surgery brilliantly and we had him home the following day, the vet said it was because we got him there so promptly that saved his life and recognised the signs.

I used to worry that I wouldn't notice the signs but it was so blindingly obvious you can't miss it.

He was fed on RC Giant his whole life, never moistened it, always fed on a raised stand, always was restricted masses of water after he was fed, never excercised at least 2 hours before and after (now we've upped it to 3 hours LOL) you do what you have to after you've had a dog go through something like that :0(

After it happened we tried moistening the food with water, but the dogs didn't find it that appetising, we read somewhere that natural yogurst may help to alleviate bloat, so ever since then we give a few spoonfuls on their food

We now withold any water for at least 45mins after food, bobby who drinks for england would guzzle a whole bowl down if he could :0(

He never ever suffered with it again but sadly we lost him at nearly 6.5 to bone cancer

There are so many people with differing views, wet/dry food, moisten/don't moisten, raised stands/on the floor etc etc, I'm sure genetics play a major part in these sorts of things, but when you have a relative of a dog you own that passes away you hardly want to pester the o with how did he/she die etc, not the time or place to ask.

Although being sensible is the key, especially exercising them far too soon before/after feeding, you wonder whether people actually read up about it and know that these sorts of things do happen, lots of people come into my work with smaller breeds, feed them and take them straight out, people just don't think I mean you'd hardly have a massive 3 course meal and go out for a run would you.

I'd be interested to see other people's views on this, especially what happened previously to other dogs who bloated or twisted

Vicki
Back to top Go down
http://www.lealemontsaintbernards.co.uk
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 pm

thanks for your reply vicki xxx
Back to top Go down
snippittsuk

snippittsuk

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks Vicki I now know what to look for!!!!!!!!!
Tony,Bud&Bhindi
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

very surprised more people havent added to this especially with the amount of dogs im hearing about at the moment having bloat those who have a dog with bloat Icon_sad

cheri
Back to top Go down
3stars

3stars

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 am

I don't know if this will be any use to anyone but I'm paranoid about my dog getting bloat and I will try anything to try and prevent it. I have brought two of these bowls for Rufus to try and slow down his eating and have found it really works. They are called break-fast food bowls. Before I found these I was using a yorkshire pudding tray to try and space out his food so he didn't gulp it down in one hit and that worked when he was 9weeks old but not at 11 as he then started to want to eat the tray as well!! Laughing I've included a pic so you can see what this bowl looks like. Yes it maybe a nearly £20 for a bowl but its a small price to pay if it goes some way in trying to prevent bloat

Their website is www.richandrobin.co.uk

those who have a dog with bloat Break-fastbowl
Back to top Go down
snippittsuk

snippittsuk

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks 3stars looks great idea £20 is nothing if it helps preventing the loss of a friend !!
Tony,Bud&Bhindi.
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Not sure if kibble size is related by there is a vet in the states that suggests all breeds prone to bloat eat kibble that is at least 30mm in size - who makes that?!

I feed grain free to reduce the amount of daily intake. Would like to go to raw but thats not an option with 6 big dogs.

Raw proponents believe it prevents bloat, not convinced myself since they just dont know for sure what causes it. What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
SaintBernardinTexas

SaintBernardinTexas

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Our first Saint also went through the bloat nightmare. It was a while back, so I don't know that I will be able to give you details such as times.

He was only 5 months old at the time. Ill never forget seeing him in the yard out the window. I rushed out as soon as I saw him trying to sick, but nothing coming out. Then he started trying to poop, but there again nothing. At the same time he was trying to throw up and poop, his belly started getting bigger and bigger. I rushed out and grabbed him and his belly was rock hard. He was in a lot of pain because he cried the whole way to the vet. As soon as he made his incision, you could hear the pressure release. Pppssssshhhhhh. It was horrible. He tacked everything down so that it would prevent it from happening again. We were lucky to get him there in time, because our vet at the time said he was minutes from no return.

We were feeding out of a low bowl. I never could get him to eat slow, he was always a really fast eater. I am sure that he was playing after he ate, because we got him with his sister and they were very active pups together. I was told to wet the food down and let it swell before he ate it so that he knew when he was full. They explained to me that when a dog eats 1 cup of dry food, that in the stomach it swells to double it's size. If he ate it when it was already swollen he would know exactly how much he was eating. The heavier or fuller the stomach was when he was playing or rolling around the more of a chance it would flip the stomach. Also, feed small meals through out the day (maybe 3) so that he was not getting a lot into his stomach at once.

I hope I gave you all something helpful out of this. I just know that with my new Saint pup, I am even more worried about it than ever. At least I know the signs if it does happen. I hope that with everyone's information we can start to understand a little more about this horrible killer, and learn how to prevent it for good. Take care, Natalie
flower
Back to top Go down
Doline

Doline

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:31 am

I lost my male Saint in Middle Jan due to bloat. And the whole thing was over so quick.

Dogs usually get feed @ 07:00, wet food -non raised bowls, and due to the heat in SA (especially in Jan) dogs sleeps most of the day.

We were on our way to the city (we life on a farm 5 hours from a big city -2 hours to the closest vet), so we went to open up the run, and I noticed the dog looked a bit unsteady on his feet. When I reached him, he collapsed, and I just saw the HUGE stomach.

Ofcourse I ran back to the house to phone the vet, knowing that the odds for him making it weren't great, due to the fact that he alreaddy collapsed, and due to the fact that 'normally' the timelimit given by vets to 'rescue' is 20 mins- ½ hour after you first realise the dog bloated. Given the fact that I'm 2 hours from the vet, is like a death warrant.

Non the less, the vet suggested we rush him through, as he did manage to safe dogs even after 2 hours in his career.

We ran out to get the suv close to the dog (this was a huge male), but when we stopped the car close to him, he drew his last breath.
I was shocked to my socks. SOOOOO unbelievably fast!

The only thing that I can imagine that lead to his bloating was the fact that my bitch was in heat the previouis 3 weeks, but she went to visit (as I did not want her bred), and that particular day she returned. No longer in season, but I imagine she still smelled pretty 'neat' to him. That might've exited him, but I didn't even see him running around to much.

That was the 4th dog I lost in a year's time... Bad luck this side!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwenevre.co.za
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 12:31 pm

we recently had a dog bloat .............

she was fed at 8.30pm same as normal same food same time same way

by 845pm while i was washing out water buckets she looked at me funny- i could NOT see her belly just her head as she peeked round a door

i went to look at her better and took a lead to measure her belly ( instantly thought bloat without any signs at this point other than just being fed)

2 mins later i checked her belly and it must have been 2-3 inches bigger and growing.... to a stranger it wouldnt look odd buts she MY bitch and i knew

she was instantly put in the car and taken to the vets 20mins

the vet xrayed her and could see the collection of gas in her and thought he could safely tube her and pump her stomach contents out- this took a hour

what came out was her dinner and a dead something or other mouldy..... we think a bird ( doesnt surprise me)

the vet is convinced has she not have eaten a mouldy bird she would have been fine!!!!

the vet also said within a week she should be back on normal food as if it never happened ( easy for him to say its not his dog to try forget thinking OMG SHES GOING TO DIE!!!)

thankgoodness i had a lovely friend on the phone to calm me down whilst waiting for her to be pumped out!

cheri
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: those who have a dog with bloat   those who have a dog with bloat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

those who have a dog with bloat
Page 1 of 1