Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Breeding.... testing for STD's?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lora

lora

Breeding.... testing for STD's? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding.... testing for STD's?   Breeding.... testing for STD's? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Before breeding your dogs do you have the other partner tested for std'S. I have a friend that did a repeat breeding of her gsd and the stud had been bred to a dirty girl and no one tested prior to the mating and viola... she caught it and had to be spayed after her single pup was delivered csection.

I have tried doing some research on STD's but OMG the crap that is on the web... there are some SICK SICK people out there... I couldn't take it any more so I thought I would ask here.

So I pose this question... Do you have your saints tested prior to a mating?
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Breeding.... testing for STD's?   Breeding.... testing for STD's? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 3:28 pm

SOME people have there dogs tested for herpes

however i dont ever see any other tests being mentioned by the same people so guess thats all they do???

i only use one dog as a stud until diesel is ready i know he is clean and free as the owner is very fussy about this she is also a good friend

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Breeding.... testing for STD's?   Breeding.... testing for STD's? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:31 pm

MOST people (inc myself) when the girls are going to be mated, we have a swab done & cover them with 'general' wide spectrum antibiotics for 10 days regardless of the results.

Also, if our boys are out to stud, after every mating we use a 'wash' on their bits, which we spoke to keith at fit & fertile about. He has a spray wash that you put on the dogs to kill any bacteria. If you cant get that, then washing them with Distilled or mineral water, works a treat.

We also use the herpes vaccine on our girls, not because we think theres a problem, but it exsists in all breeds & according to our vet, dogs can pick up the virus by sharing water, or licking other dogs, so we have it done. It can also be known to save fatalities in puppies being born as the virus becomes 'live' when the body temp drops before birth & the pups contract it through delivery.
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Breeding.... testing for STD's?   Breeding.... testing for STD's? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 pm

ive not known people to do 10 days antibiotics we give 5 days as thats what the vet said here- i guess all vets are differnt !

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding.... testing for STD's?   Breeding.... testing for STD's? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding.... testing for STD's?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Breeding :: breeding-
Jump to: