Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Xylitol & Dogs

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Xylitol & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Xylitol & Dogs   Xylitol & Dogs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 12:40 pm

PERMISSION TO crosspost

This is a MUST READ for anyone with an animal or for anyone who knows someone with an animal. Pass it along.

Xylitol Can Kill Dogs - Serious stuff

Xylitol is found in sugar free puddings and just about anything else that is sugar free. If you have a dog READ THIS -- then forward it to all those you know who have a dog! If you don't have a dog. Snopes says it's true:
http://www.snopes/ com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can.

Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. Dachshund, just as I normally do Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found
the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.

Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treat ment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment...

They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even had known why.

Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.

Worth Knowing ...!
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

Xylitol & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Xylitol & Dogs   Xylitol & Dogs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 6:28 pm

good article.. thanks for posting. I dont think most people even think about some of the no-no foods being so deadly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com

Xylitol & Dogs
Page 1 of 1