Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapped nose

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffb_79

jeffb_79

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Hugo's nose has been chapped and split since the temps started dropping and the air started drying. We've tried several different types of chap stick and a product specifically sold for chapped dog noses... so far, no luck. Hugo licks it right off every time we put it on. He seems to be getting just enough to keep his nose from getting worse, but it's not getting any better.
Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 pm

I've only had this once & used Vitamin E capsules from health food shop - I punctured the capsules & squeezed the Vit E onto the dry area & stood there until it had soaked in.

Dry crusty noses can also be sign of other health problems in dogs so keep an eye that there is nothing else going on with Hugo health wise
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
jeffb_79

jeffb_79

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Any other suggestions?
We've tried antibiotic ointment and vitamin E. Our Vet recommended we stop using both... he would just lick his nose as soon as we placed either on and the vet thought that might be another contributor in causing the chapping. The Vet's told us there's not much else we could do besides keep it clean. He's on a good diet and has no other health problems, I just feel bad seeing his cracked nose every day.
No one else has had this problem before?
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm

YES I HAVE, HOWEVER I DONT WANT TO SCARE YOU WITH MY STORY.....

dory came here at 16m and always had a chapped nose... sore and pink, we tried everything and nothing helped, one day dory banged her nose on our fence, hit a vein and blood was sperting a good 3 ft in the air!!!!

we used frozen sweetcorn to stem the bleeding, which was so hard to stop as dory wasnt pleased.

dory then had to have her little vien burnt and sealed off- she was pregnant at the time but the vet said she would die if it happened again so we had no choice of course and her babies were all born dead

her nose scabbed in time and when the scab came off it was pink and looked ok, but it did it again, we rushed her in again she was burnt again- the smell is hideous, and we discussed freezing the area to make a huge scar.... this was supposed to be the best way forward as burning wasnt working at all , i was at my wits end with dory and spend ages trying to work out what to do for the best.

dory sadly died before this happened but not because of her nose

however had her first owner fixed her nose it may not have happened, we had dory for a long time and tried antibiotics creams lotions and potions maybe hers was just too far... it never ggot better

what seemed to be the best was " udder cream" for cows udders that split .... its thick and like vasaline , but licking seems to take ages to get it off

hopefully yours is no where as bad as dorys xxx

Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

You could try massaging a barrier/moisturising cream in to the nose, as opposed to rubbing it & leaving it to be licked off? Even Manuka honey cream or neat Manuka honey (Must be 10+) massaged in thoroughly 3-4 times a day may help. By the time the dog tries to lick the nose the moisturinsing agents & al the good properties have been absorbed.
Back to top Go down
lora

lora

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 1:47 am

Best barrier cream in the US is musher's secret.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsthedogslife.com
Sponsored content

Chapped nose Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapped nose   Chapped nose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapped nose
Page 1 of 1