Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Domanant white gene

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doline

Doline

Domanant white gene Empty
PostSubject: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 am

I know from experience that the white gene in Saints are more dominant then the darker colorings.
My question is this: Would breedings with half mask/no mask dogs, neccesary result in the greater persentage of the litter with the same type masks, and more 'whitish' dogs?

Does it make a differance if one of the 2 parents is very darkly pigmentated to make up for the more dominant 'white', or does dominant white always 'rule'?

I am aware that one might get half masks/slips/no mask with 2 perfeclty corretly masked parents as well, but would you say that might be a throughback from a previous generation that might've had a more 'white' dog in the pedigree somewhere, or is all really just the fall of the penny?

What is everybody's experience on this? As in SA we almost never breed with anything other then perfectly masked dogs, so I'm not sure what the influence would be by using a dog with no mask, but with a great conformation and pedigree otherwise?

Back to top Go down
http://www.gwenevre.co.za
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

I've had a couple of splashy dogs from darker marked parents & also super dark, solid coated pups from similar parents.

I do know there is a DNA kit you can buy from the states where you take a swab of the inside of their mouth & have it tested - I can't remember they call it now, something like 'half mask gene', they also have tests to test for smooth dominance, which no matter what it is put to will produce smooth puppies & also another DNA test for something related (as opposed to parentage) but I can't remember what that is either LOL. These tests are around 50 USD each I thinjk

Will find you the link to their website, am sure I found it via the AKC DNA testing tab on the AKC website
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 6:58 pm

I found this one when searching http://www.vetgen.com/canine-coat-color.html

... Although it says 'Coat Colour' theres a bit at the bottom that says

"Coat Length

While it is not a color trait, the length of a dog's coat is of interest to many. It has recently been demonstrated that in many breeds, the gene FGF5 is responsible for whether a dog has a long coat (rough or fluffy), or a short (smooth) coat. The test Vetgen offers detects the presence or absence of the recessive allele that results in long coats when present in two copies, and as such allows dogs with short coats that carry a hidden "long coat" allele to be detected."

Might be useful if anyone wants to test for coat length
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Ah thats where it was, two tests its showing you can buy there one for coat & one for colour

Test for E(m)

Analysis reveals whether a dog with a mask has one or two copies of this version of the extension locus. Animals with a single copy can produce offspring with or without a mask, while those with two copies will only produce masked offspring. The test may also be applied to black dogs where it may not be possible to tell if there is a mask. It may be present in the following breeds and all dogs with them in their lineage:

Afghan, Belgian Shepherd, Boxer, Bull Mastiff, Cairn Terrier, Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Chihuahua, Chinese Shar-pei, English Bulldog, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Greyhound, Lakenois, Pekinese, Pug, Saint Bernard, Saluki, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Whippet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Will have another nose, i skimmed through it & just saw the coat length bit ... totally forgetting of course the post was about Colour LOL!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Doline

Doline

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:18 am

I will defenately investigate that, but to actually get the kit in SA might be somewhat of a nightmare. In your experience though? Do you guys sometimes breed with half masks/no masks if the dog is exceptional? What was the litter like?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwenevre.co.za
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 am

i wouldnt have kept back a half mask for breeding .................... i have never had one either though.

however a few kennels do breed from them ( not in england- as far as i know ) and they seem to put them on a well marked dog or bitch and have a good amount of well marked pups.

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Domanant white gene   Domanant white gene Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Domanant white gene
Page 1 of 1