Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dog grooming courses?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jirmette

jirmette

Dog grooming courses? Empty
PostSubject: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Can anyone recommend one or have any thoughts?

I was thinking of learning to groom Cooper myself, my local college doesn't offer a course, I've found this one...
http://www.thedoggroomingexpert.com/

But it's lacking the practical element, which worries me, plus it's very generic, whilst I'm not expecting there to be specific rough coated St Bernard grooming courses, I also don't plan to set up my own grooming business, so much of the knowledge would never be used.

Any thoughts / recommendations gratefully received.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
gina

gina

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Jo,

I dont know anything about courses but i would HIGHLY recommend you get a FURminator:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FURMINATOR-MEDIUM-LARGE-DOG-APPROX-20-NEW-/390326327515?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item5ae14318db

It was recommended to me and i dont know how i lived with out it Very Happy

XXX
Back to top Go down
http://www.tombearstbernard.com
jirmette

jirmette

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Fab, thank you Gina, I'll definately get one of those then Smile
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:32 pm

why not ask a breeder if you can go watch them on a grooming day??? theres plenty of us about, although i wouldnt be much help as all mine are smooths!

cheri
Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk
jirmette

jirmette

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks that's a good idea, I'll have to crawl round Kathy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Uh Oh ... I 'hear' my name being called LOL!!

I learned how to do it myself, never had to 'groom' a dog before for showing, all i knew was to brust a dog every other day etc.... most of what i learned was just by looking at how other dogs looked & went from there ....

Of course, i can pop over when hes a little older & 'show' you what needs to be done etc ... all I'd need is for you to teach Cooper to 'Stand' as he will have to do a bit of that for foot trimming Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ourfairview
Admin
ourfairview

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 pm

kathy i see this as a good excuse for someone else to have a go at brushing your youngest fluffball....... such a fluffy puppy.... cant remember his or her name!!!

jo .......

a grooming table with a bar across the top is a great idea, but if your getting one best to get it now and get your pup on it as much as possible

Back to top Go down
http://www.fairviewstbernards.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Damn, I've been rumbled :-p Taylor is mega fluff!!

Grooming table good idea, but I would invest in one that you can pump up and is low to the ground so its easier for the pup/dog to get on and off. I bought my hydraulic one from splendid pets 2 years ago and its the best thing I've ever done!
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

What you can do in the meantime is get a wooden coffee table type thing made rather than buy a table. For one Saint puppy its hard to justify £400 for a grooming table.

All my dogs big & small will jump up onto a grooming table as they have been used to doing it since they were tiny, very useful as it takes a while to groom a Saint & your back will be in half after 10 mins doing it from the floor!

My friend made the wooden extra one I have - just offcuts of wood from somewhere or other. Its 48" long by 35" wide & is about 24" tall. Its really sturdy. It doesn't look all that (and you wouldnt actually want it to double up as a coffee table!!) but it does the job & you can stick a blanket or towel over the top for them to stand on.
Will attempt to take pic & upload!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lilliegarden.co.uk
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Ok can't give demo with Saint on it as Trixi is flat out.. however my other willing victims give you some idea!
The measurements are in fact 42" long 24" wide & 18" tall (think the other measurements are my proper grooming table!) This works fine for now!

Even if you have to teach yourself its not the end of the world. I have been showing since 2007 & I'm still crappy at trimming feet. To add to my woes Goldens are trimmed much more than Saints & learning how to trim Rory has been a nightmare as he wriggles etc. Goldens have their chests thinned out ears trimmed round the outside & their tails trimmed to shape. Not as easy as it sounds!!!

Dog grooming courses? Groomi10
Back to top Go down
jirmette

jirmette

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks so much guys, really helpful advice (and great photo Smile).

Kathy I'll definately take you up on your very kind offer, quite happy to 'help' groom your fluffball as well, although I have an image of it taking you even longer to sort out my mess when I've gone (bit like me redoing the Xmas tree after the kids have... Wink)

Pics and table dimensions being shown to DH, he's just made Cooper a ramp as our back door step quite steep and we didn't want him to damage himself dropping his back half off, so DH is ready for his next project! LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 pm

No problemo Jo Very Happy Just give me a shout when you're ready ..... !!

We can do a full grooming day if you like, bath, blast dry & trimming .......!
Back to top Go down
jirmette

jirmette

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 pm

That'd be fab Kathy, thank you. In the meantime I'll be teaching him to stand still, wish me luck... lol
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Men (canine & human) are best kept occupied otherwise they get into all sorts of trouble!!
Back to top Go down
jirmette

jirmette

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Mawreddog wrote:
Men (canine & human) are best kept occupied otherwise they get into all sorts of trouble!!

Wise words! LOL
Back to top Go down
Mawreddog

Mawreddog

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Years of experience!!!

If you teach your pup to 'stand' on the floor first it may make it easier to have him on the table. It maybe that he will always need restraining somehow while he's up there either by his lead or another non strangling contraption (another job for the other half!)

I have only had one that was like that & did use every single opportunity to launch themselves off if they weren't secure. Everyone else has always stayed there of their own free will Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog grooming courses?   Dog grooming courses? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog grooming courses?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Owning a saint :: Grooming-
Jump to: